The literal translation of huevos ahogados is “drowned eggs”, but they’re really just eggs poached in salsa. We used our Classic Solecito Salsa Verde but it can be made with a salsa roja (red salsa) as well. This easy recipe is ideal for breakfast or brunch!
Huevos Ahogados (Poached Eggs in Salsa)
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Solecito Salsa Verde
- Water, chicken or vegetable stock
- In a small saucepan, heat the Salsa Verde over medium-high. Add water or stock to achieve desired consistency. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer.
- Gently crack the eggs, one at a time, into the saucepan, being careful not to break the yolk or drop shells in the salsa (tip: we recommend first breaking the egg into a small bowl and then adding them to the saucepan). Cook for 3-4 minutes for runny yolks and firm whites, or 5-7 minutes for fully cooked yolks.
- Remove from heat and use a spoon to gently serve them in a bowl. Serve with a side of warm corn tortillas or bread.