Molletes are an authentically Mexican breakfast item. These open-faced sandwiches are often served with hot coffee and fresh fruit.
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 2 Mexican bolillos (can be substituted with crusty bread or mini baguettes)
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack
- Cooked ham or chorizo (optional)
- Solecito Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the bolillos in half (length wise). Remove some of the crumb (soft centre) from each half to make room for the filling.
- Spread each half with a layer of refried beans and, if desired, add ham or chorizo. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Place the molletes on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is melted and the bread is warmed through (approx. 8 - 10 minutes), and then broil for approx. 2 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve hot with your choice of Solecito Salsa.